[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Christopher A Bongaarts cab at tc.umn.edu
Tue Feb 3 18:01:12 GMT 2004

In the immortal words of Russell Standish:
> Why not simply change the mime type to application/data? I would take
> the attitude that no email should be executable, but that people may
> legitimately want to send an executable file to someone as data. If
> the attachment was marked as application/data, the user can only save
> the executable - they would have to deliberately run the executable,
> and at some point we have to assume users know what they're doing.

Certain software (e.g. Microsoft's stuff) ignores the MIME type and
uses the file extension instead.

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  cab at tc.umn.edu       %%
%%  Internet Services         %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%