[unisog] IDS vs. Privacy

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Wed Feb 4 17:23:47 GMT 2004

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:33:10 -0600
"E. Larry Lidz" <ellidz at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> The institution has about 25,000 machines on their network, and had been
> running an IDS system which received a copy of all traffic across the
> network's gateway to the Internet/I2. The IDS system had a track record
> of being successful -- it detected most of the viruses, worms, port
> scans, spam relays, proxies, rogue FTP sites, rogue IRC bots, and so
> forth.

Someone most of us all know at least in name once described the problem
to me in a very simple way.  Watching all traffic is in effect a wiretap.
The law may or may not allow the institution to perform these functions,
but this institution obviously argued that it did not want to be in the
business of administering a 24x7 all network traffic wire tap.  I think
this is a decision to be commended assuming that they are making up for
the loss of visibility in other ways in the area of information security.

> IT management then changed. The IDS system was shut off with no advance
> notice over the concern that it might lead to a compromise of privacy
> policies. The new management believes that people having access raw
> packets is an unacceptable risk. They felt that technologies that
> summarize information (Cisco Flows from a router/switch, mirroring
> traffic to an IDS system that has no ability to sniff, etc.) about the
> traffic is acceptable, however.

In general I think so too.  From an infrastructure perspective you can
often see most of what you need to see by using more aggregate-based
detection methods as well as monitoring specific networks (e.g. bogons
and sinkholes), hosts (remote access to switches, routers) and central
application services (web server logs, tripwire/aide monitoring).
Certainly in some cases you need to do the equivalent of a wiretap on
specific traffic, but generally not for everything all the time and even
then only after there is evidence to do so.  When something slips by
the aggregate-based views that is often a call for stronger security
solutions at the edge (e.g. authentication, system logs).  It is a
trade-off.  What the institution gains in a big IDS it may lose in
edge security expertise and vice versa.

> They would like to know: has anyone been in a similar situation? If so,
> were you able to bring back your IDS? What arguments were compelling to
> management? Are other institutions similarly concerned about the privacy
> issues involved? Why or why not?

I'd like to know the opposite.  How were people able to get rid of it.
That seems like an equally interesting challenge.

John