[unisog] 10 minute web browsing and out....

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Thu Feb 5 19:36:23 GMT 2004

Gary Flynn wrote:

> I'm hearing reports of people whose web browsers
> quit working after about 10 minutes. After that
> time they get a "page cannot be displayed" error
> wherever they go. Its reported that everything
> else works when that happens...IM, email, etc.
>
> Anyone else seen this. I'm trying to track down
> a computer but I'd heard through the grapevine
> that some other folks are seeing this too.

A couple people asked to be notified of any
resolution of this problem.

The folks that were having this problem tell me it
went away after they took out the 3127-3198 TCP
port blocks into their network. ;)

When they originally called me, they reported a huge
volume of calls with the symptoms I described. I
checked with our folks who told me they had run across
a few with the same symptoms. That led me to the post to
unisog so I could see how widespread the problem was
while I was trying to find an actual computer. I still
haven't found one and I don't think I will. :)

We've been blocking *unestablished* sessions to 3127-3198
for the whole campus since the day MyDoom came out without
any reported problems and all unestablished sessions into
the student networks have been blocked since the fall.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services