[unisog] Windows Updating through a Novell Script

Bradley Ellis Bradley.Ellis at its.monash.edu.au
Thu Feb 5 22:53:21 GMT 2004

Hi All,

> I got a question from our LAN group.  They normally apply
> patches to client systems through commands in the Novell
> login script.  The latest security rollup patch announced in
> MS04-004 has different versions associated with different
> versions of IE.

You have a number of options depending on what tools you
have available to do if-then's in a batch file. Obviously
If you have a programmer handy they could write a exe of some
form to do a lot of this for you.

Obvious clues to IE versions are:
	* OS version.
	* Registry Keys/Values.
	* File version information.
Eg.

OS Version could be used for say XP and 2K3 that only have
one patch eatch (excl 64 bit architectures).

While this is simple and covers XP / 2K3 Server it doesn't
cover other os.

---

Windows scripting host may be something that your lan team
can handle writing in - wscript and jscript are fairly easy,
but then I have a background that includes a few years of c
programming.

> Does anyone know a handy way to identify the IE version in a
> script? Right now, they're also looking at ways to run
> Windows Update from the script, as well.  Any experience with
> this, anyone?

Patching via Zenworks or some other scheduled mechanism
is a long way infront of login scripts.

At least three reasons come to mind -
	* the user doesn't sit there waiting for a reboot.
	* the hit rate can be much higher and you have greater
	  certainty that patches will be applied in a reasonable
	  time. (esp if combined with wake on lan).
	* the user doesn't have to be a local admin.

Regards,
Brad.