[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Thomas DuVally tduvally at brown.edu
Fri Feb 6 14:43:24 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 13:17, Christopher A Bongaarts wrote:
> In the immortal words of Gary Flynn:
> > Joseph Tam wrote:
> >
> > >In defense of some of the criticisms of banning attachments, that
> > >
> > >	i) It's a violation of freedom of expression.
> >
> > Do the same folks welcome spam. ;)
>
> Some actually do.  Fortunately, they are easy to work around (either
> by IT political muscle or allowing individual opt-out of filtering).

I think the arguements can be boiled down to "You can have safe
computing, or open computing, but not both.  They are mutually
exclusive."

I would add that this may be only true with current technology, but I
would expect that "safer" technology would be less "open".

--
Thomas J. DuVally
Lead Systems Prog.

GPG fingerprint = FB59 8265 0865 0CB8 94B5 FC26 F573 F09C 15F2 33F6