[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Matt Crawford crawdad at fnal.gov
Fri Feb 6 16:07:16 GMT 2004

On Feb 6, 2004, at 8:43 AM, Thomas DuVally wrote:
> I think the arguements can be boiled down to "You can have safe
> computing, or open computing, but not both.  They are mutually
> exclusive."

I would say rather that there are some hypothetical points "completely
safe" and "completely open."  You can't position yourself at either for
those points, but you get to choose some other point to operate your
environment at.

And your chosen mode of operation is not necessarily on a line between
those idealized points either.  Many sites operate in a mode that could
be made both more safe and more open.