[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Christopher A Bongaarts cab at tc.umn.edu
Fri Feb 6 18:01:04 GMT 2004

In the immortal words of Avani:

> > Some actually do.  Fortunately, they are easy to work around (either
> > by IT political muscle or allowing individual opt-out of filtering).
>
>  Don't you think you are approaching this the wrong way?  The majority of
> people who "welcome" spam simply don't trust any filters but themselves.
> That is their right, and they clearly know what they are looking for, or
> will learn soon enough with the wealth of spam on today's Internet.

It's not necessarily their right if they're using a
University-supplied email account... ;)

Anyway, we chose to allow individual opt-out as our solution; I just
mention "IT political muscle" as a potential alternative that other
schools might choose to impose.

>  You say that you could work around these people.  Why not just cut off
> any infected machines you see on your own network?  If your ToS doesn't
> justify this, it should, as these people are clearly not yet capable of
> keeping a computer on a public network.

I meant "work around" people who want no "censorship" of their inbox;
people who want viruses are welcome to get them too, but we, like
most(?) places, will turn you off if you get infected.  (And we do
have a policy in place requiring AV on all systems connected to the
network, and a site license to eliminate excuses ;)

(For more details on our system, read Karen's recent post, or poke
around in the archives, if they exist again.)

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  cab at tc.umn.edu       %%
%%  Internet Services         %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%