[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Feb 6 22:05:15 GMT 2004

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:55:19 MST, Steven Leikeim said:

> McAfee (Network Associates) will run on most of the boxes listed. Specificall
y,
> VirusScan runs on Windows, Linux, HP-UX, SCO, AIX and Solaris. Anytime we've
> gotten updates they have been available for all platforms at the same time.
> This is what we have site-licensed here at the University.

And putting an  A/V tool that detects Windows virus makes my *AIX* box
safer how, exactly?

To be fair, a number of people seem to have missed this one - several
people have recommended Sophos as well.  The point is that saying "you
must have an A/V installed to connect to the net" is a *stupid* and
*wasteful* requirement if your platform doesn't *have* a virus problem.

It's kind of like saying "because cats can get feline leukemia, and
cats can be vaccinated against it, and it makes sense to require that
you can't bring your cat to XYZ without proof of immunization because
other cats will be there too, your dog can't come without being
vaccinated for feline leukemia".