[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Feb 6 23:27:28 GMT 2004

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:11:40 CST, Brian Eckman said:

> Point well taken. The reason our policy is worded as such is so that it
> does not appear "biased" against any particular OS. It does allow
> exceptions for situations where "anti-virus protection is not feasible".

Oh, OK.. that covers the problem well enough. ;)

I'm harping on it mostly because I've received too many reports of
sites that have gotten very medieval about it, and not granting
exceptions just because the box is essentially immune to viruses and
there's no real products to scan for native viruses because no in the wild
native viruses are known to exist...

Unfortunately, the world is full of PHB's who are too clueless to enter
into the competition for a Darwin Award, no matter now deserving they are. ;)

> I personally think the policy should explicitly say Windows machines
> must run AntiVirus.

If you ever get a chance to write policy, make sure you add in a clause
that Windows users must attend a 'Computer Safety" course before being
allowed to use the net.  If the powers that be object, point out that
your groundskeepers have to take safety training before they're
issued lawnmowers (they *are* required to, right? ;), even though a fool
with a lawnmower would be hard-pressed to do something so blazingly stupid
that it would shut down the entire university for a day - but you're
willing to let untrained secretaries loose with equipment that can do it
with one mouse click?