[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Christopher A Bongaarts cab at tc.umn.edu
Sat Feb 7 00:34:15 GMT 2004

In the immortal words of Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu:

> And putting an  A/V tool that detects Windows virus makes my *AIX* box
> safer how, exactly?

Depends on what's connecting to it, and what applications (email?) are
running.

> To be fair, a number of people seem to have missed this one - several
> people have recommended Sophos as well.  The point is that saying "you
> must have an A/V installed to connect to the net" is a *stupid* and
> *wasteful* requirement if your platform doesn't *have* a virus problem.

Our AV standard takes this into account (basically, desktops and email
servers must run AV; non-email servers are strongly recommended to run
AV; other special-purpose systems (instrumentation/control) must
either run AV, be "more secured" via removal of problem apps and/or
use of software firewalling, or be removed from our network.  It is
here:

http://www1.umn.edu/oit/security/Anti-virusstandard.shtml

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  cab at tc.umn.edu       %%
%%  Internet Services         %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%