[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Mon Feb 9 13:40:02 GMT 2004

On Friday 06 February 2004 17:05, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:55:19 MST, Steven Leikeim said:
> > McAfee (Network Associates) will run on most of the boxes listed.
> > Specificall
>
> y,
>
> > VirusScan runs on Windows, Linux, HP-UX, SCO, AIX and Solaris. Anytime
> > we've gotten updates they have been available for all platforms at the
> > same time. This is what we have site-licensed here at the University.
>
> And putting an  A/V tool that detects Windows virus makes my *AIX* box
> safer how, exactly?

Unix boxes often interact with windows boxes via email, and shared
file systems.  The AIX box may not be susceptible to a virus, but it
may be used to aid transporting a virus to a windows machine, or to
a disk which will later be installed in a windows machine, for
example.

Likewise, most of the email viruses here are detected (and stopped)
by our mail servers, which run on linux.

> To be fair, a number of people seem to have missed this one - several
> people have recommended Sophos as well.  The point is that saying "you
> must have an A/V installed to connect to the net" is a *stupid* and
> *wasteful* requirement if your platform doesn't *have* a virus problem.

Depends on ones views regarding ``herd immunity.''

> It's kind of like saying "because cats can get feline leukemia, and
> cats can be vaccinated against it, and it makes sense to require that
> you can't bring your cat to XYZ without proof of immunization because
> other cats will be there too, your dog can't come without being
> vaccinated for feline leukemia".

I do see your point.  But, what if instead of leukemia your analogy
used parvo, which can be carried from pet to pet by humans, who are
immune.  This is more like the situation with Linux/Unix and
windows in a networked world.

Anybody else remember Macintosh resource viruses spread via
shares (including Caymen box exported NFS shares).

Mike

Michael D. Sofka              sofkam at rpi.edu
C&CT Sr. Systems Programmer    Email, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/