[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Michael Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Mon Feb 9 20:44:10 GMT 2004

On Friday 06 February 2004 18:27, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> I'm harping on it mostly because I've received too many reports of
> sites that have gotten very medieval about it, and not granting
> exceptions just because the box is essentially immune to viruses and
> there's no real products to scan for native viruses because no in the wild
> native viruses are known to exist...

But, there are Linux trojans and worms (do google searches of slapper
and bliss, for example).  It's been 17 months since any made
headlines (an eternity in Internet years), but they do exist.  In addition,
some windows viruses can infect applications run under WINE.

Mike
Michael D. Sofka              sofkam at rpi.edu
C&CT Sr. Systems Programmer    Email, TeX, epistemology.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/