[unisog] Dropping executables - who does it?

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Feb 9 20:22:53 GMT 2004

On
> I'm harping on it mostly because I've received too many reports of
> sites that have gotten very medieval about it, and not granting
> exceptions just because the box is essentially immune to viruses and
> there's no real products to scan for native viruses because no in the wild
> native viruses are known to exist...

Our official policy says something like "that all systems running an OS
that is affected by viruses and for which the University has an AV
product licensed must use the the product and that it must be kept up to
date, blah, blah, blah..."

Our short publications (posters, bits in student hand books, etc.)
simply say "All systems must use approved AV software" followed by a
reference to the policy.

This seems to work well.

--
Russell Fulton                                    /~\  The ASCII
Network Security Officer                          \ /  Ribbon Campaign