[unisog] The Impact of Spam on your Institution

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Feb 10 21:32:45 GMT 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:44:57 EST, William Yang <wyang at gcfn.net>  said:

> and bulk mailing services.  I find the 50% metric very hard to believe:
> this e-mail account, which I've had for about a decade and has been
> actively used in USENET, on the web, and on mailing lists over the
> years, only gets about 15% spam by message counts.  The marginal cost

You're very lucky then.  Currently, a large chunk of our mail is spam.  And
that's *after* we totally block about half the connections because they come
from flagrant spamhauses.  So far this month, looks like we're going about 3
million attempted emails per day, 1 million actually processed per day, and
only about 300K/day not flagged as spam.

If anybody is actually only getting 50% spam, they should feel blessed.