[unisog] SMTP and IDP - a question for the SMTP gurus

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Feb 12 18:47:14 GMT 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:23:25 EST, Gary Flynn <flynngn at jmu.edu>  said:

> Short version:
>
> Does a mail server that has multiple messages to
> deliver to a particular destination server deliver
> all those messages in one session?

Sendmail will *try* to re-use an existing connection (it will keep
them open for a while after sending mail) if feasible while running
the queue.  In addition, it *may* open another connection if new mail
arrives, depending on the exact configuration.

It is *certainly* possible for up to several hundred or even thousands
of pieces of e-mail to go over the same connection (one EHLO, then
a continual MAIL FROM/RCPT TO/DATA/./(sleep) over and over and over
without benefit of a QUIT.  The highest I've seen personally was
something like 80K messages before it finally idle-reset.