[unisog] On the security of non-Windows op systems

Selden E Ball Jr seb at lepp.cornell.edu
Thu Feb 12 22:26:55 GMT 2004

Gentle folk,

Sorry, I couldn't let this one go by :-)

>    No one in the non-Windows world should claim absolute
> superiority in terms of security, but there are some systems
> that significantly raise the bar for attacks, and while not 100%
> fool proof are far more likely to resist attacks.

>    My favorite example of this and what I personally use is
> OpenBSD. Their pro-active stance on code audits and protection
> schemes makes it a more secure system.

You might want to consider OpenVMS when thinking about
installing systems, especially servers, that need to be secure.

It's been a while since there have been any native VMS viruses,
although someone did write a DECnet worm a very long time ago.
Its current hardware platforms (VAX and Alpha) are unable to run
any Intel binaries at all, of course, although HP is porting
it to a new platform (Itanium) that will.

Naturally, services based on interpreted languages are likely to be
just as vulnerable as the Unix versions (e.g. Apache with perl CGI scripts).

Selden
======
Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University                        Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics  FAX: +1-607-255-8062
LT105 R. R. Wilson Laboratory              http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/
Dryden Road                            Internet: SEB at LEPP.CORNELL.EDU
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001          HEPnet/SPAN: LNS62::SEB = 44284::SEB