[unisog] Do any of you IM?

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Tue Feb 24 18:34:41 GMT 2004

Attempts to "keep things private" always backfire.  Always.

The bad people know all the tricks and spread them around.
Whenever I hear of people in the security world talk of making
things private, I think of the open source projects that believe
in "full disclosure" of problems and how secure they are.

Those publically archived items relating to security help countless
people down the line as they trawl for snippits of information
about problems they're dealing with.  Stopping the ability of
people do to that will increase security problems, and do little
to deter the bad people from handing things around.

If I'm IM'able, I can also read email.  If I have an email I can respond
to something quickly if need be, or look at later in the day.  Not so
with a lot of IM systems.

Please don't try to hide the spread of information.  That is never
a good thing.

--STeve Andre'
MSU dept. of Political Science