[unisog] Do any of you IM?

Elaine N Ward eward at austin.utexas.edu
Wed Feb 25 16:54:58 GMT 2004

True.  Still, there's something to be said for knowing with whom you are
communicating on sensitive topics.  The point at which 'security by
obscurity' begins and unnecessarily opening one's organization to
'footprinting' ends is not always obvious.

I believe that most security professionals would agree that there are
those with bad intent who continually search the internet and lurk in
newsgroups to obtain free, sensitive information about our
organizations. Perhaps it's a little like locking the car--it won't do a
thing to stop a determined car thief, but it will deter most simply by
making the vehicle a little less inviting.

Bruce Schneier addressed the complexities well, I thought, in the May
15, 2002, edition of the Crypto-Gram.
http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0205.html

Elaine

Elaine N. Ward