[unisog] Do any of you IM?

Phillip G Deneault deneault at WPI.EDU
Wed Feb 25 17:28:26 GMT 2004

I can think of a different reason to have a instant messaging system of
some kind.  Some of us who don't get up from our systems much during the
day can use it to get faster answers that from the unisog list.

However, I agree I think it should be more of a group forum.  Which is why
I vote for setting up an IRC channel somewhere.

Phil

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, STeve Andre' wrote:

> Attempts to "keep things private" always backfire.  Always.
>
> The bad people know all the tricks and spread them around.
> Whenever I hear of people in the security world talk of making
> things private, I think of the open source projects that believe
> in "full disclosure" of problems and how secure they are.
>
> Those publically archived items relating to security help countless
> people down the line as they trawl for snippits of information
> about problems they're dealing with.  Stopping the ability of
> people do to that will increase security problems, and do little
> to deter the bad people from handing things around.
>
> If I'm IM'able, I can also read email.  If I have an email I can respond
> to something quickly if need be, or look at later in the day.  Not so
> with a lot of IM systems.
>
> Please don't try to hide the spread of information.  That is never
> a good thing.
>
> --STeve Andre'
> MSU dept. of Political Science
>
> On Tuesday 24 February 2004 09:16 pm, Mary M. Chaddock wrote:
> > Here is just a quick brain-storm idea...
> > Would it be helpfull/nice/convenient if Unisog'ers were able to IM each
> > other?
> >
> > I'm really just thinking that it might be helpful to me if I had a buddy
> > list of unisog'ers that I could contact without worry of my questions
> > being publically archived and forever available on the internet.
> >
> > Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
> > -Mary.

Phil Deneault     "We work in the dark, We do what we can,
deneault at wpi.edu   We give what we have. Our doubt is our passion,
WPI NetOps         and our passion is our task. The rest is the
InfoSec            madness of art." - Henry James