[unisog] Virus?

Goverts IV, Paul pgoverts at sjfc.edu
Thu Feb 26 14:54:32 GMT 2004

The winampa.exe file that I came across is only 32.5k.  After we had
scanned the student's PC with Symantec Antivirus Corp. Edition and
removed a few other viruses, her PC continued to port scan 901.  In
comparison, the "real" winampa.exe file is located in c:\program
files\winamp\winampa.exe, is 33k, which is similar.  The "fake"
winampa.exe is hidden in system32 and does not also have the winamp icon
embedded in it like the real one.  I verified the behavior of this file
by copying it to and running it from an isolated test image.  The second
I executed this winampa.exe file it moved it to the system32 folder and
started 901/tcp scans.  The latest 02/25 Symantec updated defs still do
not detect it.

Paul

Paul Goverts IV
Computer Services