[unisog] Getting ARP tables from Cisco switches via snmp -- slightly OT

greg gaustad gaustad at eng.utoledo.edu
Wed Jan 7 21:23:31 GMT 2004

Russell:

Getting mac addresses per port from a switch is not a simple matter.
There are two broad solutions

1.) Get information by polling for older switches which do not support
    solution # 2 below.  I think that mac-notification became supported
    in CATOS 6 and above.

    "How To Get Dynamic CAM Entries (CAM Table) for Catalyst Switches Using SNMP"
    Document ID: 13492
    on the Cisco web page
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/tk605/tech_protocol_home.html

2.) Event driven by the mac-notification mib which sends via SNMP traps
   (which will include other trap info and requires parsing)

I have crude code to do both of the above, and get and combine with
macaddress-ipddress assignments and name-ipaddress that I can share,
if you are interested.

Greg Gaustad
Engineering College Computing
Voice:	419-530-8023