[unisog] Getting ARP tables from Cisco switches via snmp -- slightly OT

Peter Moody peter at ucsc.edu
Wed Jan 7 22:30:08 GMT 2004

> We are working on a project to maintain a map of MAC, IP addrs and
> switch ports in a database that we can easily interrogate (even if the
> machine we are looking for is not on line).  We discovered the need for
> this during the frenzy of patching in the latter part of last year when
> we had frequent problems with tracking down vulnerable machines.

this may be overkill for what you need, but have you taken a look at
netdisco?

http://www.netdisco.org/

it's apparently a little bit painful to install, but once it's running,
the information and control it offers is pretty amazing.

Regards,
-Peter

--
Peter Moody                             <peter at ucsc.edu>
Information Security Administrator      831/459.5409