[unisog] Getting ARP tables from Cisco switches via snmp -- slightly OT

John Kristoff jtk at northwestern.edu
Wed Jan 7 22:44:44 GMT 2004

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:47:12 +1300
Russell Fulton <r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> Does anyone know the  OID to retrieve ARP tables from Cisco switches?

There are no ARP tables in switches of course.  I presume you mean CAM
tables.

> We are working on a project to maintain a map of MAC, IP addrs and
> switch ports in a database that we can easily interrogate (even if the

There is a tool that does half of this.  You need something else to go
out to the switches and get the associated MAC and port there though.
The first software package called arptrack is what you're looking for:

  <http://ntgrd.depaul.edu/software/>

Note: this page is no longer being maintained and at least two of the
other tools have been updated and are being homed elsewhere (send me
private email if you're interested and can't find them :-).

I had summarized what is essentially your question awhile back on this
list.  Hopefully it is still online somewhere in a unisog archive.  If
you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can dig what I might
have up.

At Northwestern there is a very nice system that is being built by a
mad shell/database hacker that also does exactly what you want, plus
provides a nice web interface for enabling/disabling ports with support
for authentication to local admins for particular subnets.  Hopefully
it'll be something we can share in the near future.

John