SuSE 9 Linux installation [Was: Re: [unisog] mysterious IIS failures]

Ed Kubaitis ejk at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 15 22:03:02 GMT 2004

--Matt Crawford <crawdad at fnal.gov> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Jim Duncan wrote:
>> He uses a USB memory device to carry his patches
>> over to the new machine because he will not risk connecting the new
>> machine to any network until it is patched.
>
> I have counted attack attempts against unused parts of my address space
> and found that *in a quiet week*, the mean interval between attacks is
> just under 13 minutes.
>
> The frequent question, "Can I connect it just long enough to download
> the patches?" always gets a loud one-word answer.

A tangent of possible interest to people looking for
alternatives to end-of-lifed Red Hat Linux: the
install process for SuSE 9.0 Pro allows for a test of
the configured network connection. If the test is
successful an option to download and install all
applicable patches and updates is offered -- *before*
the network connection for the newly installed OS is
fully activated.

Ed Kubaitis - ejk at uiuc.edu
CITES/STS - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign