[unisog] Re: "fbi.com" near-attack

Philip Kizer pckizer at tamu.edu
Tue Jul 13 15:48:15 GMT 2004

Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:
>This could have been a serious attack had they really sent mail.
>There is a domain called fbi.com but this of course might be
>unrelated to them.
>Did anyone else see this or should we feel special?

Oh, we saw it, too, but we see those kinds of probes all the time.  Only 72
IPs were in the source list for us, though.

In the past, we got bombs where messages were actually sent, too; but,
Greylisting stopped those kinds of drive-by-spamming pretty much completely.

-philip

--
Philip Kizer, Chief Systems Engineer, Texas A&M University
USENIX Liaison to Texas A&M University         <usenix at tamu.edu>