[unisog] New virus - not caught by central servers (fwd)

Paul Russell prussell at nd.edu
Tue Jul 27 20:42:03 GMT 2004

On 7/27/2004 3:11 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:
> That brings up an interesting point, and perhaps people could comment.
> For every hour of email processing down, how long does it take for your
> queue to get processed once things are back up?  And what would you
> guess your bottleneck to be, the spam gateway/virus gateway/messaging
> system/bandwidth?

We run MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, and McAfee on our MX hosts (a pair of
Sun V880's, each with 32 GB of memory and 8-900 Mhz processors), and the
MD/AV/SA combo seems to be the principal bottleneck. The problem is not
in the products themselves, but in the nature of the tasks they perform.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator