[unisog] New virus - not caught by central servers (fwd)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jul 27 20:55:59 GMT 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:32:43 CDT, Frank Bulk <bulkf at dordt.edu>  said:

> Although virus definitions are a reactive measure for outbreaks, they
> are effective the longer-running ones.  A several-hour delay in email
> processing, by my measures, is not the worst thing in the world.  It

A several-hour break is pretty serious if much of your workflow is done via e-mail.

> happens at least monthly that one item in our email flow breaks down for
> several hours.  I'm usually the first to notice, and it's usually been
> 60 to 180 minutes.  So delaying email processing, perhaps for just those
> with attachments, doesn't sound so bad in the grand scheme of things.

Lucky you..  around here, a 5 minute outage puts a real honest to goodness
blinking red sign up in the NOC, usually there's pagers going off at 15
minutes, and if it's down for an hour, there's probably at least 3 people been
called, even if it's 3AM.

Shameless plug:

http://www.bb4.com/ - how to monitor a quarter acre of servers on a low budget ;)

(And yes, we really have 0.28 acres of raised-floor space, and yes, we have turf wars)