[unisog] New virus - not caught by central servers (fwd)

Paul Russell prussell at nd.edu
Wed Jul 28 04:55:36 GMT 2004

On 7/27/2004 7:01 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:
> So perhaps we are missing each other in this dicussion of email as a
> mission critical service, because if the post office was down or
> communications between the post-office were interrupted, I know we would
> almost instantaneously be called.  Thankfully, GroupWise is quite stable
> and this very rarely happens.  I'm guessing that in the other email
> systems that have been described here, that the internet e-mail server
> is the THE server, for both SMTP, POP3, IMAP, and therefore client
> access.  And such that if it was down, not only does internet email not
> get processed, neither does internal email nor client access.

I used to manage a GroupWise system. Now I manage a service built on products
which conform to open standards. The principal difference between a service
based on a proprietary product such as GroupWise, and a service built on
products which conform to open standards, is the need for an email "gateway"
between the proprietary system and the Internet. In some respects, this
gateway provides a buffer between the internal mail system and the Internet,
making it technically possible to disconnect the internal email service from
the Internet without interrupting the availability of the internal email
service.

An email service based on open standards could be built in the same manner,
with a "gateway" service between the internal email service and the Internet,
however, I suspect that most open-standards-based services are connected
directly to the Internet simply because they can be.

While it may be technically possible to disconnect one's mail server from
the Internet, it may not be feasible to do so, due to the volume of Internet
email traffic, and the potential problems introduced by large backlogs of
inbound and outbound mail.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator