[unisog] New virus - not caught by central servers (fwd)

Rich Jones rich at uwo.ca
Wed Jul 28 15:38:53 GMT 2004

Reg Quinton wrote:

> problems and I've been arguing that we ought to block zips as well... and
> stop worrying about the AV filter on incoming mail.

We began blocking zip files in January of this year.  This was
in place.  We had already been blocking the recommended list of
Microsoft attachment types.

> Some people claim that if you block zips then they can't get their work
> done. Apparently people at Columbia do get their work done.

Apparently we're still getting our work done.

> How has your user community accomodated your e-mail security filtering? Ie.
> when they really need to send a zip (or exe, etc.) how do they do it?

We've had a few complaints, but our HelpDesk explains how to
rename attachments and people appear tobe satisfied with that.

Our AV email scanner is now somewhat underutilized.