[unisog] Correction: XP SP2 ports open to local subnet

Phil Rodrigues phil.rodrigues at nyu.edu
Wed Jun 9 22:09:59 GMT 2004

Correction:

Brian Eckman of the University of Minnesota brought to my attention the
fact that the XP SP2 exception only applies to the LOCAL SUBNET.  If a
computer is on the same subnet as the XP computer, it will see ports
137-139,445 open if file and print sharing is enabled even if XP SP2 is
installed.

All computers *NOT* on the same local subnet will see the ports as
filtered.  XP SP2 closes those ports to anyone not on the same local
subnet by default.

I tested it and agree completely:

# Same Subnet: from 128.122.XXX.111
$ nmap -p 139,445 128.122.XXX.123 -P0 -T5
Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-06-09 17:15 EDT
Interesting ports on SOMEONE.NYU.EDU (128.122.XXX.123):
PORT    STATE SERVICE
139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
445/tcp open  microsoft-ds

# Different subnet: from 128.122.YYY.222
$ nmap -p 139,445 128.122.XXX.123 -P0 -T5
Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on SOMEONE.NYU.EDU (128.122.XXX.123):
Port       State       Service
139/tcp    filtered    netbios-ssn
445/tcp    filtered    microsoft-ds

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks Brian for taking me up on my "Please
try it yourself" offer.

Phil