[unisog] Phishing targeting University Admissions

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Jun 14 13:19:09 GMT 2004

--On Monday, June 14, 2004 8:46 AM -0400 Michael Holstein
<michael.holstein at csuohio.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Late last week we saw a "phishing" attack targeting our students using
> the enticement of a research assistantship (and a student visa). The
> messages are written such that they appear to be from a legitimate
> University International Admisions contact, and contain an
> as-yet-unidentified "mailer.zip" attachment.

Do you have the header portion?  I assume it claimed to be from an
address at your school but really came from somewhere else.  Some
general rule might be made to filter out such mail.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York