[unisog] Phishing targeting University Admissions

Keith Schoenefeld schoenk at utulsa.edu
Wed Jun 16 05:30:39 GMT 2004

Seriously, why wouldn't people accept zip files?  If you don't allow zip
files, but still allow attachments, what compression program do you use,
rar?  If so, then what happens when viruses start getting spread via rar
(they already are)? If we continually decrease the level of service we
provide, we start changing the usability of the services we provide.  If
we dramatically change the usability of our services, then the virus
writers win.  It is far better to teach users how to properly handle
attachments than to block attachments of certain types.  By blocking zip
files, we are using a technical solution to solve a user knowledge
problem.  It's bound to fail.  We don't need more technology, we need
better trained users.

Obviously, I'm totally against the whole idea of "Viruses are possible
in files with extension '.xxx' so we'd better block them".  Just like
the recent viruses said "type in this password and open the zip file",
untrained users are going to receive an email message that says "rename
this blah.zi_ to blah.zip and open it" and they will do it.  Again, the
proper solution in my opinion is user training, not band-aid technical
solutions.

I suppose using my same logic, one could argue that we shouldn't block
any virus email.  I would argue that blocking viruses using definitive
signatures is a good spam blocking and mail server saving measure, but
that end users should be trained to handle the viruses that do get through.

All that said, there are all sorts of arguments as to whether one should
really support attachments at all.  I personally would rather have some
sort of automated repository where all outgoing and incoming attachments
are stored on a server and unique http:// links are sent in place of the
attachments.  Maybe using something like hardlink periodically to save
space.  I believe such a product is a pipe dream at the moment... maybe
someone can correct me?

-- KS