[unisog] Phishing targeting University Admissions

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Wed Jun 16 12:40:44 GMT 2004

Actually we block anything that's Win32 executable
(exe,com,shs,scr,vbs,vbe, etc...) and anything compressed
(zip,rar,sft,tar,gz,tgz, etc) at the perimiter, and force everyone to
use a centrally managed inbound and outbound SMTP gateway that does
virus/policy scanning.

This *perticular* one used a student's Hotmail address ... something we
don't have an effective way (yet) to control.

The blocking of compressed files has caused some *friction* but
generally we're able to convince people to FTP/SCP things in/out of the
University LAN.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University