[unisog] Phishing targeting University Admissions

Selden E Ball Jr seb at lepp.cornell.edu
Wed Jun 16 13:34:44 GMT 2004

Don't forget that a lot of malware is distributed by way of
boobytrapped Web pages, and that it's trivial to construct
URL's that look like they're going to a trustable site but
which actually send the user to an infectious page.

Shutting down malware sites takes a while, during which time
a lot of systems could get infected.

Six of one, a half-dozen of the other...

We do try to persuade our users to use Web pages instead of mail
to distribute large files, but that's more an attempt to be
good citizens and to avoid mailbombing the intended recipients.

Selden
======
Selden E. Ball, Jr.

Cornell University                        Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory for Elementary-Particle Physics  FAX: +1-607-255-8062
LT105 R. R. Wilson Laboratory              http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/
Dryden Road                            Internet: SEB at LEPP.CORNELL.EDU
Ithaca, NY, USA 14853-8001          HEPnet/SPAN: LNS62::SEB = 44284::SEB