[unisog] Appropriate University/Internet blocks

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jun 16 15:13:11 GMT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:20:37 EDT, Tom Conley said:

> It seems [obvious] that the recommendations made for other industries are
> not generally accepted at universities.  But what is acceptable?

Acceptable is "what can your VP of Information Whatever proclaim as The Way It
Shall Be without getting lynched".  This is *not* a technical issue, but a
political issue, with many local gotchas.

For instance, here at VT, one organization (network services) basically owns
*all* the copper.  On the one hand, this means that if we proclaim something,
it basically happens because we're a monopoly.  On the other hand, this also
means that there are limits to what we can do without a backlash - a department
may resent a policy imposed by us, even if they'd do the same thing if it was
their own copper.

And I'm *positive* that each and every reader can look at their own university,
and point to something that was done in a totally byzantine way simply because
the VP of Whatever and the Dead of Something were deep and bitter personal
enemies because of a kayaking incident 23 years ago, or some similar, and the
project required getting the two to cooperate....

Technical recommendations are easy.  Personally, if it comes to a political
issue, I'll go dig myself a foxhole real quick and let somebody ELSE draw
the bullets - somebody has to count the holes afterwards and compute the
ratio of hostile/friendly fire... ;)