[unisog] Phishing targeting University Admissions

Mike Honeycutt honeycutt at unca.edu
Wed Jun 16 15:54:10 GMT 2004

I've found this discussion to be very interesting -
especially the original subject of phishing.

For the record, we are in the block ZIP files (and about
20 other extensions) camp.

I agree with Eric Pancer about this being a horrible workaround,
but the reality on our campus is we can either remove those attachments
or spend our time fixing machines.  I don't think it is realistic
to have a never-ending series of email messages to the campus
that says "...this week, don't open the XYZ attachment", "...this week,
the topic is PHISHING", etc.  Many people will not understand the
messages, and many will start ignoring them.  It seems in any case,
we are still hiking around campus fixing PCs, if we don't remove
the known bad attachment.

Mike Honeycutt  UNC Asheville University Computing