[unisog] Phishing targeting University Admissions

Eric Pancer epancer at security.depaul.edu
Fri Jun 18 09:58:25 GMT 2004

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote on Thu, 2004-06-17 at 13:31:16 -0400...

> You end up with *all* your mail being reduced to a body that looks like:
>
> ---
> You got new mail, go to http://....../long-random-url to pick it up.
> ---
>
> mm.. doesn't that look just so spammy?? ;)

That's not the idea behind IM2000. IM2000 is intended to be
transparent to users --- they won't get a message that says "come
and get my malware now" as it is more transparent.

> 4) It has the usual "Sure, this *might* be nice, but it doesn't do any good
> until a majority of sites are using it, and nobody will deploy it if nobody's
> using it". Never underestimate the problems of bootstrapping a new service to
> usable levels....

Indeed.

--
Eric Pancer :.: Computer Security Response Team :.: DePaul University
http://security.depaul.edu/ .:`:.:':.:`:. epancer at security.depaul.edu
pgp: 1024D/7ACBCFF3 C022 4991 41E5 51E7 683C F765 62F7 7F8E 7ACB CFF3