[unisog] script (perl ?) for monitoring connectivity to a few web sites

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jun 19 23:26:59 GMT 2004

HI All,
	I need a quick and dirty script to monitor http connectivity to a
couple of machines.  I could write one myself but I hate reinventing the
wheel and I am short of time so I thought I would ask.

I am aware that there are commercial services that do this but my
requirement is strictly short term.

Background: I will we shortly making some drastic changes to the
software that builds the configuration files for our firewall and I need
to monitor connectivity to a few of our key web site from outside when
we go live.  I need to be able to back out quickly if things break !

We have an ADSL line into the office and we plan to have a machine on it
watching the sites so we should know almost immediately if anything goes
wrong.

I'm a mite sensitive to the possibility of problems just at the moment
because, due to an oversight on my part, I put our key teaching system
off the 'Net for half an hour while doing testing on Friday.  So if
anything come unglued on Tuesday I want to know fast so I can fix it
before anyone else notices ;)

I was told by the network manager that because of the weather (it was
pouring with rain -- mid winter here) they had decided to cancel the
public flogging. I don't want to find out if they will do it twice!

Cheers, Russell
--
Russell Fulton, Computer and Network Security Officer.
The University of Auckland, New Zealand.