[unisog] executable for setting windows updates?

Ken Hoover ken.hoover at yale.edu
Mon Jun 21 18:23:38 GMT 2004

   This is a piece of cake.  The Automatic Updates service has a couple
of registry entries that control where the client "looks" for updates,
as well as the settings as to when and how to download.

   You don't need a fancy .exe installer, just hand out a .reg file with
the proper settings and then students could double-click it to reset
their systems to update automatically via windows update.

   If you are running SUS locally, you could also point the student
machined to your SUS server too, which has some distinct advantages
(like knowing which machines have and have not installed a particular fix).

   Note that machines don't have to be in a domain in order to use SUS
since SUS is an unauthenticated service.

   Hope this helps.

						- Ken Hoover

Matt Ashfield (UNB) wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are looking into developing a program that would setup a Windows computer
> to be configured to automatically download and install patches via windows
> update.
>
> The thinking here is that as students arrive this fall for classes with
> their own computers, we'd like them to have to run this program as part of
> the process of registering their computer on the network.
>
> Is anyone else out there doing such a thing? Care to share your approach?
>
> Just thought i'd check here first!
>
> Thanks
>
> Matthew Ashfield
> Network Analyst