[unisog] RE: unisog Digest, Vol 3, Issue 20

Rob Becker rbecker at kcai.edu
Mon Jun 21 19:44:55 GMT 2004

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:23:19 -0300
From: "Matt Ashfield \(UNB\)" <mda at unb.ca>
Subject: [unisog] executable for setting windows updates?
To: "UNIversity Security Operations Group" <unisog at lists.sans.org>

Hi

We are looking into developing a program that would setup a Windows
computer
to be configured to automatically download and install patches via
windows
update.

The thinking here is that as students arrive this fall for classes with
their own computers, we'd like them to have to run this program as part
of
the process of registering their computer on the network.

Is anyone else out there doing such a thing? Care to share your
approach?

Just thought i'd check here first!

Thanks

Matthew Ashfield
Network Analyst
Integrated Technology Services
University of New Brunswick
(506) 447-3033

Here are a few links that may help you in your quest to provide decent
patch management.

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/XPCREATE/
http://www.autopatcher.com/
http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/groups/Microsof
t/default.htm
Look into Windows Update Services on the last link.

All of these offer options to aid in patching those Windows boxes.
Good Luck.
Rob Becker