[unisog] executable for setting windows updates?

Jim Dillon Jim.Dillon at cusys.edu
Tue Jun 22 21:18:12 GMT 2004

I fail to see anything Orwellian or Big Brotherish about the original responses.

The welfare of the whole (a SHARED resource) is certainly a higher level risk than the welfare of the unit (i.e. individual desktop or server.)  Unit optimization as an approach generally equals anarchy and highest cost solution that often fails to protect the most important assets adequately.

With proper care in the design, approvals for the risk acceptance and impacts (managerial - those with enough signature authority to accept the risk for the sake of the whole), this (patch before connecting) is a viable approach, and it has been used by many.

I don't know which answer is better in the original poster's situation, layers of firewalls, auto-updates, or both, but in any case it is actually a socially responsible and appropriate managerial decision to control risk, even at the real costs indicated, if the risks are significantly greater than the end cost of mitigation.  Given that total destruction is seconds away these days (think of the Witty worm on a large scale) such precaution is commonly justifiable, not an imposition.

There is some due process responsibility, no doubt - good development, change mgt., communication practices as a prerequisite.  Still, probably the better side of valor to not accept the open/unpatched system risk on a shared infrastructure, too many other "lives" at stake.

Generically, I'd like to see both used, along with different backbones/infrastructures that segregate sensitive, confidential, and proprietary data/systems and products from the Internet entirely, while allowing some pain on a more open sand lot that disallows such valuable data resources - with judicious warnings of course.  However, reality says most cannot afford that level of risk avoidance in the short term.

Jim
Jim Dillon, CISA
IT Audit Manager
University of Colorado