[unisog] executable for setting windows updates?

PaulFM paulfm at me.umn.edu
Tue Jun 22 22:22:32 GMT 2004

If you want to stop viruses - BAN Internet Explorer and Outlook/Outlook Express.

If you have properly blocked ports at your router, the viruses that get in
only are an issue for machines that have failed to follow any RECOMMENDATIONS
you may have for setting the machine up (not for the ones that were set up
correctly).

We suggest machines be up to date and we even point people at an anti-virus
program they can use for free (we have a site license that allows this).   We
cut off the Windows ports in and out of our network except as needed.  And we
go out of our way to discourage the use of Internet Explorer and Outlook
Express (and IIS).  We have very little problems with viri within our network
(our router logs show them outside our section of the our University's
network trying to break in - at least 2 or 3 a day).   We don't force
security settings or scripts on people.  But we do cut off any machine that
seems to have a virus infection.  Our office machines are fully managed and
locked down to prevent tampering (and virus infection).

Getting a virus is one way some people finally learn to read the policies and
rules (when they get cut off and we are telling them the best course of
action is to wipe the machine).

Paul F. Markfort               Email: paulfm at me.umn.edu
- SysAdmin -                   (Information Technology Professional)
MEnet, Rm# 152
Mechanical Engineering         Web: http://www.menet.umn.edu/~paulfm
University of Minnesota         Main Phone: (612) 626-9800 (No VM)
111 Church Street                Alt Phone: (612) 625-1916 (No VM)
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0150      Home Phone: (651) 774-2136