[unisog] Hidden Ftp erver

Schumann, Alex Alex.Schumann at oregonstate.edu
Thu Jun 24 00:17:41 GMT 2004

Am I understanding correctly that your goal is to find the ftp server
and kill it, thus 'cleaning' the machine and putting it back into
production?

Root kits, long common in the world of unix, have become just as common
now in the microsoft domain. Once your machine has been compromised by
someone, you _CANNOT_ guarantee it is clean again short of doing a byte
by byte drive comparison with a previous image. You especially cannot
trust anything installed and running on the tainted OS. Once the kernel
has been compromised it can be told to trick any program you run, hide
any files or processes, etc. Nothing is safe because anything you do on
the machine is subject to the operating system, which you cannot trust.

I encourage you to find the exe for curiosity sake, but be sure to fdisk
that box and re-install before putting it back into production. There
are many very small, very subtil ways for an attacker to leave himself a
path back in otherwise. And of course, don't forget to change all the
passwords..

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/2879

       Alex Schumann

     I.S. Developer/Administrator   ZZZzz    |\      _,,,---,,_
     -Housing & Dining Services          z   /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_.
     -Residential Network                 zz|,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
     Oregon State University               '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
     http://uhds.oregonstate.edu
     http://uhds.oregonstate.edu/resnet