[unisog] HIPAA PHI and encrypted Transmission of data

Jay D. Flanagan jflanag at emory.edu
Fri Jun 25 12:08:07 GMT 2004

We are working through policy as part of our HIPAA implementation. A big piece of our policy is how to handle the transmission of PHI data. How are other universities with Hospitals handling the transmission of this type of data or maybe I should say how will you be handling it? Are you using some form of encryption for email? If so what tool? How are you securing other forms of transmission? Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me directly at jflanag at emory.edu.
Thanks, Jay
Jay D. Flanagan
Security Team Lead
ITD Technical Services