[unisog] Virus droppings and unresolvable domains - your input.

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Mar 1 19:32:16 GMT 2004

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:47:35 EST, Thomas DuVally <tduvally at brown.edu>  said:

> 1) We deliver all those virus messages (cleaned, of course) that are
> generated by viruses themselves (mydoom, sobif, klez ...) to our users.

Kinda pointless, but hey.. ;)

> 2) We are accepting mail from unqualified senders and unresolved
> domains.

Foolish, because you can't return a bounce message.

Don't get too hung up on analogies - the point is that this is *NOT* a
postal service.  For starters, poke around in the Code of Federal Regulations,
Title 39:

http://cfr.law.cornell.edu/cfr/cfr.php?title=39&type=chapter&value=1

and ask if you REALLY want to be a post office or not.

In particular, read sections 265 through 268, and ask if it's someplace you
want to be going.  What works for the US Postal Service may not be a good
idea for your business model....