[unisog] Increased Activity (fwd)

Chris Russel russel at yorku.ca
Tue Mar 23 13:38:16 GMT 2004

Our logs picked up the same burst of activity, with the same increment on
the first octet, starting late yesterday afternoon and going to around
7-7:30pm EST when it abrubtly stopped.  We also noticed several (not all)
of these systems also scanning port 135 and trying the MS03-026 exploit.

My guess is it is related to phatbot which tries the dameware and
DCERPC exploits among others.

Even more mysterious is that it seems to have almost entirely stopped
right now - still a couple systems I can see but nothing compared to
yesterday.  This gives me a bad feeling.  Sorry I don't have anything more
useful to say I am just starting to look into it.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who is investigating this stuff.

--
Chris Russel
Manager, CNS Information Security
russel at yorku.ca