[unisog] Policy for student owned servers in the ResNet

Scott M. Dier sdier at cs.umn.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:51:57 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 17:59, Stephen Bernard wrote:
> residence networks. I think that both of these approaches are dangerous
> so I'm interested to learn about the approach and reasoning used by
> others who have taken the registration tack.

At one point UMN had a program where anyone who wanted to run services
had to register with one of the security contacts and sign a document
stating what services they plan on running.  The eventual plan was to
put those users in a special vlan and monitor them closely.

The plan died at some point about a year after it started -- I was a
student and was signed up for it at the time.  It died a year later, new
staff had come in and the costs of running the program were too much.

The official line these days is no services, but it most likely doesn't
get enforced uniformly.

--
Scott Dier <sdier at cs.umn.edu>
CS/IT Systems Staff