[unisog] SpamAssassin Rules Question

Chris M. Miller cmmiller at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon May 3 20:53:26 GMT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Erik Ball wrote:

> What file(s) dictate the point values associated with a matching rule in
> SpamAssassin?
>
> I want to increase the point value associated with rules like
> CLICK_BELOW, GUARANTEED_STUFF, etc...

  The answer to this depends (heavily) on how you've implemented
SpamAssassin for your environment. The most likely answer is that you can
add 'score' lines to your local.cf file (the location of which will
probably vary; try /usr/share/spamassassin and /etc/mail/spamassassin to
start). This will change the scores for -all- users.

  If you are able to use user-specific configuration (again,
implementation-dependent), you can also put 'score' lines in your
~/.spammassassin/user_prefs file.

> After doing this, can I issue: kill -HUP xxx to restart spamd and get
> the changes to take effect?

  Changes to the local.cf file require restarted spamd. If you change your
personal user_prefs file, though, it is checked for each message delivery
(again with the implementation-dependence :).

  See also man pages spamd(1) and Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf(3).

Hope this helps,
Chris