[unisog] Authenticated Proxy access

Mark Borrie mark.borrie at otago.ac.nz
Tue May 4 05:01:08 GMT 2004

We are currently investigating providing proxy access for our students
to the Internet and wish to authenticate those students against their
Univesity accounts.

We are currently using a squid proxy with basic authentication but
need to increase the security level to provide better protection of
usernames/passwords.

Digest authentication which is available in squid only provides a limited
improvement and is not supported adequately by all browsers.

I guess we are looking for some SSL lgoin process to the proxy service
and then having some keep alive ticket for the user or machine.  Proxy
servers that libraries are using such as Ezyproxy to give access to
known sites are not suitable for our requirements.

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has some suggestions or
solutions. Is anyone else got this going?

Mark.
--
Mark Borrie
IT Security Officer,

For information on email virus hoaxes see
http://HoaxBusters.ciac.org/