[unisog] Authenticated Proxy access

Christian Wilson Christian.Wilson at its.monash.edu.au
Wed May 5 07:23:22 GMT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 05:01:08PM +1200, Mark Borrie wrote:
> We are currently investigating providing proxy access for our students
> to the Internet and wish to authenticate those students against their
> Univesity accounts.

> I am interested in hearing from anyone who has some suggestions or
> solutions. Is anyone else got this going?

We were trying to run an instance of stunnel on the client machines and
on our proxy server to do encrypted authenticated proxy access against a
squid proxy server and that worked for smallish (1000 or thereabouts)
clients.

At the moment we are migrating to www.permeo.com - permeo socks proxy which
uses SSL for authentication, and allows more access to the world than just
boring http and ftp :)

Christian.
--
Christian Wilson
IT Security and Risk Manager, Infrastructure Services